Public Information

General Questions and Answers

Question- What is a protection order and where do I get it?

Answer-  Basically a protection order also commonly referred to as an adult abuse order, child protection order, or ex parte order of protection is a court order signed by a judge which gives a respondent (defendant) certain directions and explains the consequences if the order is violated. 

Individuals may apply for a protection order in the circuit clerk’s office on the second floor at the St. Clair County Courthouse. There is no cost to apply.

A protection order may be obtained for people who are afraid of, been assaulted, abused, harassed, stalked, threatened, or harmed from one or more adults.  The order may be obtained from the associate court of the county where you reside or any adjoining county.

A protection order is only a piece of paper and it is suggested that any petitioner also make a report to the proper law enforcement agency and consider plans to further ensure their safety and the safety of family and friends.

Question- Where can I find out if a civil paper has been served?

Answer- To find out if a civil paper was served, individuals may call the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office (417-646-2565) during regular business hours Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. through 4 p.m.

Question- What is the bond for?

Answer- A bond is often required by the court to assure the appearance of a defendant.  If a bond is listed as “cash” or “cash only” then that is all that may be accepted.  Some bonds are permitted to be posted by a bail bonding company and will be listed as “surety.” 

Other types of bonds are required to have court approval such as placing property or a signature bond.  Anyone posting bond needs to understand the money, property, or signature they are providing to the court may be ordered by the court to be applied toward any fine, costs, fees, or restitution. 

Question- How do I visit an inmate in the St. Clair County Jail?

Answer- Inmates in the St. Clair County Jail are allowed a one hour one visit per week (Sunday-Saturday). Visiting hours are 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. There are no visits from 12-1 p.m. or from 5-6 p.m. There are no visits on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday after 4 p.m. Inmates must schedule the visit with jail staff.  A pastor is allowed to visit an inmate anytime and as often as they would like.

If there are two adults visiting an inmate, the time is split one half hour each. Two children under 17-years-old are allowed to visit with an adult present. If there are more than two children, another adult must be present to wait with the children in the lobby.

As of July 2020, we have suspended visits until further notice in recognition of COVID-19.

Question- Where do I register my firearm?

Answer- Missouri State Law does not require citizens to register firearms.

Question- What is the speed limit on a gravel road?

Answer- Missouri State Law states the speed limit on a gravel road is 60 miles per hour unless otherwise posted or conditions of the road allow.

Question- Who is listed on the “most wanted” list?

Answer- Any person with an active arrest warrant from St. Clair County for any alleged felony violation, probation violation, or misdemeanor charge may be placed in the sheriff’s office “most wanted ” section. 

Question- Where can I sign up for Text Caster, to receive live notifications from the Sheriff's Office to my phone?